We are dedicated to ensuring that all New York City public school students, regardless of race or economic class, have access to a high-quality education that prepares them for the rigors of college and the workforce. Further, we are committed to sharing innovative tools, strategies and lessons learned in New Visions schools with others in New York and throughout the country to prove that meaningful change is achievable at scale and success is possible for every child.
Throughout our history, we have worked intensively with a core group of schools while fashioning strategies to improve student achievement across the board. Today, with 69 district schools and ten charter high schools serving over 40,000 students, we support a network similar in size to some of the nation's largest school districts. We are committed to proving what no urban district has yet to realize: that large numbers of urban students can graduate on time and be successful in college and in the workplace.
These core values define our work as an organization and with our schools:
- Focus on instruction: Everything -- from curriculum to scheduling to facilities -- is about supporting teaching and learning.
- Data-driven decisions: Data define our strategies and allow us to personalize and customize supports to schools and students.
- Practice must be public: We learn, grow and improve by making our practices transparent and collaborating with others.
- Continual improvement: Our work embodies a continuous process for improvement -- analyzing data, developing and implementing actions, assessing impact, and refining strategies to re-imagine the systems that foster innovation and transformative change.
- Stakeholder engagement: Multiple stakeholders who bring assets and expertise to solving challenges must be mobilized to ensure widespread support and ownership of student success.